Monday, April 14, 2008

Shelter - A linocut original print


An Explanation of Original Prints and Ranking:

I put everything I had into this printmaking class. We printed hundreds in hopes of perfection. The original edition was no more than 25 of closest to perfection pieces. I am offering a choice of quality (A, B or C) on Etsy because that made the most sense. There are maybe 15-25 APs that will be offered at most.



An Explanation of the Image:


I wanted everything I had and put into the class to be mine. I chose to create images to illustrate poems and prose I had jotted down previously, those phrases that just jumped out at me with an image.The linoleum board is carved into with the mirror image of the print (the reverse of the words too) with carving tools. A brayer is used to smoothly roll out the ink and then apply it to the cut. Paper is laid over and then it is rolled through a printing press. A barren or wooden spoon may be used as well. Then the paper is removed and placed on a rack to dry. This print features a young girl sitting against the brick wall of an alley holding a cup with a dollar bill and reads "Shelter herself from the truth of the LIGHT"


I just love the boldness and stroke marks you get when working in this medium. It's been a while since I've last done a linocut. Hopefully I will have time for another within the next couple months. I have to work on a smaller scale at home though :o)

No comments: